Toshiki Sugimoto (Assistant Professor)
- Field of Expertise
- Physical chemistry of surface and interface
Condensed matter spectroscopy
Atomic and Molecular Physics
- Research Interests
- Photocatalytic water splitting
- Adsorption and condensation of water (liquid/ice) on solid surfaces
- Order-disorder transition of hydrogen-bonded ferroelectrics
- Nuclear/electron Spin conversion in molecules
- Flow dynamics of adsorptive gases
- Recent papers
- Original Papers
- N. Aiga, *T. Sugimoto, Y. Otsuki, K. Watanabe & Y. Matsumoto; Origins of emergent high-Tc ferroelectric ordering in heteroepitaxial ice film: Sum-frequency generation spectroscopy of H2O and D2O ice films on Pt(111) (submitted)
- K. Shirai, G. Fazio, *T. Sugimoto, D. Selli, L. Ferraro, K. Watanabe, M. Haruta, B. Ohtani, H. Kurata, C. Di Valentin & Y. Matsumoto; Water-assisted hole trapping at highly curved surface of nano-TiO2 photocatalyst (submitted).
- *T. Sugimoto, Y. Kunisada & K. Fukutani; Inelastic Electron Tunneling Mediated by Molecular Quantum Rotator(submitted).
- S. Tanaka, M. Petrovic, K. Watanabe, P. Lazic, M. Kralj, *T. Sugimoto & Y. Matsumoto; Excitation of graphene plasmons at visible frequencies (submitted).
- M. Yabuta, A. Takeda, *T. Sugimoto, K. Watanabe, A. Kudo & Y. Matsumoto; Particle size dependence of carrier dynamics and reactivity of photocatalyst BiVO4 probed with single-particle transient absorption microscopy J. Phyc. Chem. C(to be accepted).
- O. Yuji, *T. Sugimoto, T. Ishisyama, A. Morita, K. Watanabe & Y. Matsumoto; Unveiling subsurface hydrogen-bond structure of hexagonal water ice. Phys. Rev. B 96, 115405 (2017). [DOI: https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.96.115405]
- T. Hama, S. Ishizuka, T. Yamazaki, Y. Kimura, A. Kouchi, N. Watanabe, *T. Sugimoto, V. Pirronello; Fast crystalline ice formation at extremely low temperature through water/neon matrix sublimation. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 19, 17677-17684 (2017). [DOI: 10.1039/C7CP03315J],
– Selected as "2017 PCCP HOT Articles"
- K. Miyata, Y. Kurashige, K. Watanabe, *T. Sugimoto, S. Tanaka, J. Takeya, T. Yanai & Y. Matsumoto; Coherent singlet fission activated by symmetry breaking. Nature Chem. (2017).[DOI: doi:10.1038/nchem.2784]
– Press release [http://www.sci.kyoto-u.ac.jp/ja/news/detail_528.html]
- K-I.Inoue, K. Watanabe, *T. Sugimoto, Y. Matsumoto & T. Yasuike; Disentangling multidimensional non-equilibrium dynamics of adsorbates: CO desorption from Cu(100). Phys. Rev. Lett. 117, 186101 (2016).[DOI:10.1103/PhysRevLett.117.186101]
– Featured in Physical Reveiw Letters, Viewpoint "The Calisthenics of Surface Femtochemistry" [October26,2016•Physics 9,123]
- *T. Sugimoto, N. Aiga, Y. Otsuki, K. Watanabe & Y. Matsumoto; Emergent high-Tc ferroelectric ordering of strongly correlated and frustrated protons in a heteroepitaxial ice film. Nature Phys. 12, 1063–1068 (2016) [DOI:10.1038/nphys3820]
– Featured in Nature Physics, News and Views "Thermodynamics of ice: Not obeying the rules" 12, 996–997 (2016) [DOI:10.1038/nphys3853
– Press release [http://www.kyoto-u.ac.jp/ja/research/research_results/2016/160726_2.html]
- S. Tanaka, K. Miyata, *T. Sugimoto, K. Watanabe, T. Uemura, J. Takeya & Y. Matsumoto; Enhancement of the Exciton Coherence Size in Organic Semiconductor by Alkyl-Chain Substitution. J. Phys. Chem. C 120, 7941-7948 (2016). [DOI:10.1021/acs.jpcc.5b12686]
- K. Shirai, *T. Sugimoto, K. Watanabe, M. Haruta, H. Kurata & Y. Matsumoto; Effect of Water Adsorption on Carrier Trapping Dynamics at the Surface of Anatase TiO2 Nanoparticles. Nano Lett. 16, 1323-1327 (2016). [DOI: 10.1021/acs.nanolett.5b04724]
- K. Miyata, S. Tanaka, Y. Ishino, K. Watanabe, T. Uemura, J. Takeya, *T. Sugimoto, Y. Matsumoto; Microscopic hole transfer efficiency in organic thin film transistors studied with charge modulation spectroscopy, Phys. Rev. B 91, 195306 (2015). [DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.91.195306]
- K. Miyata, S. Tanaka, *T. Sugimoto, K. Watanabe, T. Uemura, J. Takeya, & Y. Matsumoto; Coherent Phonon Dynamics in Singlet Fission of Rubrene Single Crystal, Springer Proceedings in Physics, 162, 218-221 (2015).
- M. Yabuta, T. Takayama, K. Shirai, K. Watanabe, A. Kudo, *T. Sugimoto & Y. Matsumoto; Effects of cocatalyst on carrier dynamics of a
titanate photocatalyst with layered perovskite structure. J.Phys.Chem.C 118, 10972 (2014).
- Y. Ishino, K. Miyata, *T. Sugimoto, K. Watanabe, Y. Matsumoto, T. Uemura & J. Takeya; Ultrafast Exciton Dynamics in Dinaphtho[2,3-b:2’3’-f]thieno[3,2-b]-thiophene Thin Films. Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 16, 7501-7512 (2014).
- *T. Sugimoto & K. Fukutani; Effects of Rotational-Symmetry Breaking on Physisorption of Ortho- and Para-H2 on Noble Metal Surface. Phys. Rev. Lett. 112,146101(2014).
– Featured in Research Highlights of Asia Pacific Physics Newsletter (World Scientific)
3, 29 (2014).
– Featured in Advances in Engineering, January 27 2015.
- N. Aiga, Q. Jia, K. Watanabe, A. Kudo, *T. Sugimoto & Y. Matsumoto; Electron–phonon coupling dynamics at oxygen evolution sites of visible-light-driven photocatalyst: Bismuth vanadate. J. Phys. Chem. C 117, 9881-9886 (2013).
- *T. Sugimoto, K. Takeyasu & K. Fukutani; Gas dynamics in the vacuum chamber with a single adsorption site on the Wall Surface: Origin of the exponential pressure decay with the time constant of sub-kilo seconds. J. Vac. Soc. Jpn. 56, 322-329 (2013).
- K. Takeyasu, *T. Sugimoto & K. Fukutani; Analysis of a pumping curve of water with the conversion equation from pressure to adsorption density of states. J. Vac. Soc. Jpn. 56, 457-459 (2013). [invited paper]
- K. Takeyasu, *T. Sugimoto & K. Fukutani; Analytical Formula for Calculating Adsorption Density of States
on Chamber Surfaces from Measured Pressure Change. J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 82, 114602 (2013).
- Q. Wang, *T. Sugimoto & K. Fukutani; Rotational spectroscopy of HD by laser-induced fluorescence. Seisankenkyu 94, 911-914 (2012).
- *T. Sugimoto & K. Fukutani; Electric-Field induced nuclear-spin flips mediated by enhanced spin orbit coupling. Nature Phys. 7, 307-310 (2011).
- Y. Kazama, M. Matsumoto, *T. Sugimoto, T. Okano & K. Fukutani; Low-temperature surface phase and phase transition of physisorbed oxygen on the Ag(111) surface. Phys. Rev. B 84, 064128 (2011).
- K. Yamakawa, *T. Sugimoto & K. Fukutani; The reflection operation and the Σ− term of linear molecules, Mol. Sci. 5, AC0014 (2010).
- *T. Sugimoto, T. Okano & K. Fukutani; Problem of gas dose with micro-capillary array. J. Vac. Soc. Jpn. 52, 141-144 (2009).
- *T. Sugimoto; Infrared spectroscopy of water adsorbates on TiO2-photocatalyst surface that directly contribute to trapping of photo-generated hole. FTIR Talk Lett. 28, 2-7 (2017).
- *T. Sugimoto & K. Fukutani; Nuclear Spin Dynamics of Molecular Hydrogen Adsorbed on Solid Surfaces –Interdisciplinary Surface Electromagnetic Process-. J. Phys. Soc. Jpn. 71, 668-678 (2016). [DOI: 10.11316/butsuri.71.10_668]
- *T. Sugimoto; Ortho-Para Conversion of Molecular Hydrogen physisorbed on highly-pure amorphous solid water surfaces. Low Temp. Mat. Sci. Kyoto Univ. 26, 10-17 (2015).
- K. Fukutani & *T. Sugimoto; Physisorption and ortho–para conversion of molecular hydrogen on solid surfaces. Prog. Surf. Sci. 88, 279-348 (2013).
||Graduate school of science, Kyoto university (B4: Prof. Koichiro Tanaka's group).
||Master's course, Department of Applied Physics, Graduate School of Engineering/Faculty of Engineering, The Univ. of Tokyo (Prof. Katsuyuki Fukutani's group).
||Doctoral course, Department of Applied Physics, Graduate School of Engineering/Faculty of Engineering, The Univ. of Tokyo (Prof. Katsuyuki Fukutani's group).
- Academic carriers
||Research Fellowship for Young Scientists (DC2), Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
||Research Fellowship for Young Scientists (PD), Japan Society for the Promotion of Science
||Assistant Professor at Kyoto University, Japan
||Japan Science and Technology Agency PRESTO Researcher
||Best Poster Presentation Award, 49th Annual Symposium of the Vacuum Society of Japan.
||Best Presentation Award, IIS PhD Student Live 2010.
||Student awards, Surface/interface spectroscopy 2010.
||Commendation for Science and Technology by the Minister of Education [Qingyang Wang], 1st science intercollegiate.
||Young Scientist Award, 33rd Annual Meeting of the Surface Science Society of Japan.
||39th Vacuum Science Paper Award of the Kumatani Memorial Foundation.
||23th Vacuum Society of Japan Award for Innovative Work.
- Scientific Activities
||Organizing committee, The Kansai branch of the Surface Science Society of Japan
||Special Researcher, Research Institute of trends in science and technology, National Institute of Science and Technology Policy, Japan
- Contact Information
- Phone: 81(Japan)-75-753-4049
Fax: 81(Japan)- 75-753-4050
E-mail: toshiki + @kuchem.kyoto-u.ac.jp
- Molecular Spectroscopy laboratory (internal link)
Matsumoto Research Group web site
This page was last modified on 05 April 2018.